Goodfellas is a classic gangster film that has a lot more behind it than it seems. Here are some things you didn’t know about it:
1. The “funny like a clown” scene was improvised. Nobody but Pesci and Liotta knew what the exchange was to be about. This was Scorsese’s call, as he wanted the reactions of everyone around the two stars to have genuine reactions.
2. The f bomb is dropped 296 times. About half are from Joe Pesci.
3. Both of Scorsese’s parents are in the film. Scorsese’s mom plays Tommy’s mother, who greets the big three with a dinner after they commit a murder, unbeknownst to her.
4. That iconic meal scene, from the knife request to the “hoof” comment, was mostly improvised.
5. Scorsese’s father was the guy who put too many onions into the sauce.
6. Ray Liotta turned down the role of Harvey Dent in the 89′ Batman to make Goodfellas.
7. Liotta’s mother passed while Goodfellas was being filmed. He channeled his anger to help him with some scenes in which he is infuriated, namely the pistol whipping scene.
That’s about all I have! Did any of these facts surprise you? Let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading!